Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Finding a Realtor

I only know one realtor and I don't really know her at all. I decided to look at familiar names like, Century 21, Ebby Halliday, Re/Max, etc...

I have many questions. In order to find someone I feel comfortable with, I came up with a page of questions to ask during the agent interviews.

I got the questions as suggestions from various online sources. To be quite honest, I don't even understand what I'm asking on a few of them.

Anyway, here are the questions I have for the realtor agents.

1) How many years experience do you have?

2) How many homes in the area have you sold in the passed 60 days?

3) Can you give references from recent buyers? get 3 (are they related to the agent) May I call them with additional questions?

4) How do you earn your commission, through the seller or from the buyer?

5) When should I call the and how often?

6) What is your best marketing plan or strategy for my needs?
A. How will you search for my new home?
B. How many homes will I likely see before I find a home I want to buy?
C. Will I be competing against other buyers? (Agent should solely represent you and not represent other buyers who are competing for the same inventory.)
D. How do you handle multiple offers?
E. Do you present offers yourself?

7) What are the top 3 things that separate you from the competition?

8) May I review documents beforehand that I will be asked to sign? Ask to see a sample purchase agreement and ask agent to point out your cancellation rights in the document (if they hesitate, find another agent)

9) How will you help me find other professionals (i.e. mortgage brokers, home inspectors, title companies)?
A. Are there affiliations with these related professionals?
B. Is the agent's company receiving compensation for referrals? This is against the law. If they receive kickbacks, find another agent.

10) What kind of guarantee do you offer?
A. Has anyone ever canceled and agreement with you before?
B. If we are unhappy, can we be released from the agreement before the expiration? If not find another agent.

12) What haven't I asked you that I need to know?

Finally, have the agent reiterate your goals and objectives to you to verify that they listen and have a clear understanding of your desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment