Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Final Walkthrough, Closing, Lost Keys, and Poor Workmanship

I picked up a cashier's check from the bank at lunch today before taking my wife over to the house to meet the builder and the realtor.

We did our final walkthrough today at 1pm. There were a handful of tiny holes not filled or painted. Most important, the floor had a haze that we thought was just a poor cleaning job. They were going to let the floor go as it was but I put my foot down and said it had to bee fresh cleaned before we move in. Then they told us they had to fire the cleaning crew for poor work. That further backed up my request for them to get it cleaned up. Everyone agreed.

We went over to the next town to close and all went well. We were given two surveys to fill out. One for the finance company and one for the builder. We scored everything except for a portion of the builder survey where I had nothing positive to say so I left it with the statement 'Refuse' (to do survey). As we were leaving, we got a call from the sales rep who congratulated us and immediately asked about the survey. I simply told her that we only did part of the survey and left part of it blank because we were happier in some areas than others.

Once we got into town, the sales rep called to tell me that the keys to our new house have already been lost somewhere between the builder and the title company. We were told a locksmith was on the way to rekey the locks and that they could put a lockbox on the house temporarily. I said no, we are coming to the house and will wait to get our 'actual' keys because we just closed on the house.

We went to the house to see hoe the touch ups went while we are closing. They did a few and missed a few. The the bomb was dropped on us. The wood floor doesn't have a haze from a dirty rag or something. It has a haze because the sheen has been removed by a chemical agent that the dumb friggin painter used to clean up after doing a lousy job to begin with.

After the bad news was given to us, the guy from the flooring company showed up to discuss things they could try to do to resolve it. While the builder and flooring guy talked, I crawled around on the floor and found white paint speckles around all of the door ways and overspray dust in corners and many of the baseboards. I told the builder that those guys have to come back and clean everything perfect. Meanwhile, the locksmith came out and rekeyed all of the doors and we were given 4 keys. The builder told us not to use our keys until he is done working because the way the locks are set up. Our keys will void his if we use them. He was going to get an additional spec key from the sales rep but she had already gone for the day. He gave us his and said he would just go get the other one in the morning.

There wasn't more we could do but finally go get something to eat. It was eating me up all evening. I called the sales rep to tell her about the floor. The first thing she told me is that this is where she comes in and that's why we shouldn't give her a bad survey. I scolded her immediately that I never said anything about giving her a bad survey; that I only ever indicated that I graded only in the areas that we were happiest. She said that if they can't get it resolved, that it would become a poor workmanship claim and that the floor would have to be replaced if we aren't happy with the end result.

After dinner we went to finance our refrigerator but we are not happy with the limit readily available to us. So, we just decided that we will pay cash but better wait until they get the floor issue resolved. We did get some insecticide, however.

My wife and son went home and I went to the house to spray for pests, even though it was already dark. The spec key didn't work. That figures, since the locks were rekeyed. So, I have to go over to the house early to let the builder in so he can get the flooring guys to fix our floor.

I'm still waiting for the excitement to kick in. Still not feeling it. If you read this far, than you can see why.

I would have taken photos but I was just too angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment